Overview of Competition
Terms and Conditions
' Testing The Water '
With this competition,' Testing The Water ', you are being invited to design a ' virtual space ' which will have water as its central theme. As is usual with a SLANT Competition, the theme will be open to your interpretation, so how you choose to design with water, and how much or how little water you chose to include is entirely up to you.
The central feature of all SLANT competitions is that you can place your imagined/virtual plot anywhere in the world and in so doing you are always designing in a geographical, topographical, climatic and cultural environment of your own choosing.
Contestants are also not limited in any way by budget, however designs must be ' reasonably practical ', and should not be harmful to the environment.
In design, as in life in general, water has so many uses, and as such it has come to represent different things to different people. Water of course means life to us all, but on top of this it is has also come to be used in recreation, in science, in engineering, in religion, in cultural events, and for some it has become a vital political issue.
There will be nine merit awards and two cash prizes on offer for the best designs.
This is an open international competition and as such is open to all designers of all disciplines, and at all levels of experience.
Closing date for receipt of completed designs is 5 May 2015.
The plot brief is follows:
• Maximum area of 2,000 SqM
• The overall shape of your plot can vary, but the maximum permitted area is 2,000 SqM, and you are restricted to designing within the confines of the plot. There is no minimum area specified.
• The ground in the plot is assumed to be level, but changes to this level are permitted so long as they do not exceed 6M above and /or below the assumed ground level.
• Structures within the plot must not exceed 6M in height.
• Public access to your plot is optional, and where public access is denied you may assume that your plot can be easily viewed from outside.
You also get to decide the following:
• Global location of your plot.
• The soil type.
• Its orientation. (North Point)
• Its exposure to the elements, e.g. sun, wind, rain etc.
You will be asked, on your official entry form, to nominate a style category for your design and this will form part of the judging criteria.
Style categories will range from a private domestic garden to an inaccessible public space (e.g. an area viewed from a motorway or perhaps a roof space seen from above.)
This is a worldwide competition open to all those who have an interest in design. Everyone from whatever background and level of experience is welcome to enter and previously we have had submissions from a broad spectrum of designers, including, Landscape Architects, Architects, Landscape Designers, Garden Designers, Interior Designers, Engineers, Planners, and Visual Artists. Students of all disciplines and at all levels of study are especially encouraged to enter, and a fee discount of 20% is available to students and recent graduates, subject to proof of status. The official language of the competition is English.
The competition is now open for entries and if you would like to enter, then the first thing you being asked to do is to pay your 'Entry Fee'. Once your payment has been received by us, we will then send you the following Entry Documents:
• Official Entry Form and your own unique Entry Number.
• Details of 'Style Categories'
To enter now with a Reduced Entry Fee please click here
You will receive your Entry Documents within two working days of us receiving your payment, however if you subsequently change your mind, you will then have seven working days from time of dispatch of these documents to withdraw from the competition, in which case you will then receive a full refund of your fee, less €15 to cover the cost of administration. Deposits are non-refundable.
If you prefer you can simply pay a Deposit of 15 and once your deposit has been received by us we will then enter you onto the Register and send you your own unique Registration Number.
Note: Details of how and when you can pay the balance of your entry fee will be sent to you along with your Registration Number.
To pay a Deposit please click here
You may enter as often as you like, either as an individual, or in a team, or as a company or firm, and you have up to 05 May 2015 to make your final submission.
Students and recent graduates may apply for a 20% discount of their fee subject to proof of status. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Reduced Entry Fees available up to noon GMT on 03 April 2015:
One Person ..........................€ 40
Team of Two Persons ..............€ 65
Team of Three Persons ............€100
Team of Four or More Persons ...€130
To Enter with a Reduced Entry Fee please click here
Please note that after noon GMT on 03 April 2015 discount will no longer apply and Entry Fees will then cost €50,€85,€130 & €170 accordingly. Student/Recent Graduate discounts will still apply to these rates.
• If you are paying either by PayPal or by Bank Transfer, please ensure that the name and email address of the contestant is clearly shown on your payment form as provided by either PayPal or by your Bank, and in the case of a team submission, the name and email address of your agreed contact member.
• PayPal payments are virtually instant, but Bank Transfers will take a few days to reach us, so if you are paying by Bank Transfer please email us and let us know once payment has been sent.
• Your entry number and entry form will only be issued once we have received your entry fee in full.
• If you have any questions, or require any assistance in making your payment then please contact us and we will respond just as fast as we can.
Remember a refund of fees (once received by us), will be available to you subject to certain terms and conditions. See “cooling-off period” above.
First Prize: - €500 plus 'Slant Certificate of Award for Best Overall Project'
Second Prize: - €200 plus 'Slant Certificate of Award for Second Best Overall Project'
An additional six projects will receive 'Slant Certificate of Award of High Commendation'
There will also be an award for 'Slant Certificate of Peoples’ Choice' as voted on by members of the public.
SLANT is a non-profit organisation and prizes are funded entirely from entry fees received.
Submission Check List:
• Written Project Description
• Entry Form and Declaration of Consent/Authorship
• Posters may be submitted either in digital format, or if you prefer your drawings may be sent in via standard mail.
• You may submit a maximum of 5 posters, at least one of which must show a master plan of your design, including critical dimensions.
• Your ‘Project Name’ should appear on each of your posters.
• A ‘page number’ must be entered on the bottom left-hand corner of each poster and showing 1/5, 2/5 etc.
• Your ‘Entry Number’ must be entered on the bottom right-hand side of each poster.
Do not include contestant name/s on your poster.
Digital Posters: (e.g. pdf, jpg etc) must have a combined file size no greater than 12MB and containing a maximum of five posters. Please ensure that your registration number , and not your contestant name/s, is clearly displayed on each poster.
Please email your digital submissions to email@example.com to arrive no later than midday GMT on 05 May 2015.
Paper Posters: You may send up to five drawings with a maximum page size of A2, although we suggest that a page size of A3 should be more than adequate. Please ensure that your registration number , and not your contestant name/s, is clearly displayed on each poster.
Paper submissions must be sent postmarked no later than the 05 May 2015 to:
Hugh Ryan, Slant Organisation, Kilballyowen, Aughrim, Co. Wicklow. Ireland.
Postage must be pre-paid and at no cost to the recipient.
Incomplete submissions may be rejected so please ensure that you have everything in order.
All submissions, once received, will be acknowledged by email.
Details of the judges for our previous competitions can be viewed on the Jury page.
Jury members for the SLANT Competition, ‘Testing The Water' will be announced at a later date.
Entries will be assessed, and points awarded in accordance with the following score sheet:
300 points Interpretation of theme, "Testing The Water".
200 points Innovation and Aesthetics.
200 points Clarity of Presentation.
100 points Appropriate application of chosen 'Style Category'.
100 points Selection and use of hard materials.
100 points Selection and use of plants.
1000 points Total Potential Score
Once received, all entries will be checked and assessed, and a long-list of up to thirty projects will be drawn up.
When this list has been compiled, successful entrants will be informed, and the list will be published on slant.eu
Subsequently this selection will be further reduced to a Short-List of 15 projects and again the successful entrants will be informed, and the 15 projects will then be published in full on the SLANT website (slant.eu) and on our Facebook page where viewers will have the opportunity of voting for their favourite design and a certificate will be awarded to the most popular project.
The jury will then be asked to make their final selections and the Awards will be announced on 26 June 2015.
In the event that a jury member is unable to fulfil their duties the organisers reserve the right to appoint a suitably qualified replacement.
The jury’s decision will be final and no appeal, legal or otherwise will be entertained.
No persons related to, or employed by the Organisers or Judges will be eligible to enter the competition.
20 February 2015 Launch of Competition
03 April 2015 End of Reduced Fee Period
05 May 2015 Submission Deadline
29 May 2015 Publication of Long-List
05 June 2015 Publication of Short-List
26 June 2015 Announcement of Winners.
We invite comments and questions from you regarding this competition at firstname.lastname@example.org , and questions and answers can be viewed now on FAQ page.
1. By submitting an entry in the competition, participants agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions, which form the rules of the competition.
2.Submissions may be made either in digital format, or if you prefer your drawings may be sent in via standard mail. Digital submissions: (e.g. pdf, jpg etc) must have a combined file size no greater than 12MB and containing a maximum of five posters.
Please email your digital submissions to email@example.com to arrive no later than midnight GMT on 05 May 2013.
Paper submissions: You may send up to five drawings with a maximum page size of A2, although we suggest that a page size of A3 should be more than adequate.
Paper submissions must be sent postmarked no later than the 05 May 2013 to: Hugh Ryan, Kilballyowen, Aughrim, Co. Wicklow. Ireland Postage must be pre-paid and at no cost to the recipient.
Incomplete submissions may be rejected so please ensure that you have everything in order. Please ensure that your registration number, and not contestant names, is clearly displayed on each poster.
3. The entrant(s) hereby confirm(s) that they are authorized to submit the project for consideration for the Slant Competition 2015.The entrant(s) also confirm(s) that they are authorised to grant rights of use under the copyright to the materials submitted with the competition entry, including but not limited to images, and give(s) permission to publish the project submitted on the Slant website www.slant.eu and in the media (Internet, print media, TV and radio), as well as in other publications associated with the event and with the organiser Slant. Entries may be rejected if plagiarism is detected. The documents submitted shall remain with the organiser and shall not be returned.
4. Entrants agree to provide the following personal information, name, full address, telephone number, mobile number, email address, full name and location of place of study. Entrants are fully responsible for the complete and accurate submission of their personal information.
5. The competition will be launched in February 2015 and final submissions must be received by midnight GMT on 05 May 2015 (emails) or postmarked 05 May 2015 (post)
6. Slant reserves the right to modify or cancel the competition, or to alter the dates of the competition, or the way the competition is conducted or for any reason after publishing this alteration(s) on the website and Facebook page. In the event that the competition is cancelled, either in part or in whole, all entry fees associated with the cancelled part or parts of this competition will be refunded, less a €3.00 handling charge.
7. Slant accepts no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected, incomplete, or cannot be delivered for any technical or other reason.
The information, illustrations, text or images (hereinafter referred to as the "Content") on this website are protected by the laws on copyright. You can access this content and use for personal educational purposes only. You may not modify or use the Content for any other purpose without the written permission from the owner of the website i.e. The Slant Organisation. Except as otherwise provided below, it is prohibited to reproduce, republish, post, transmit or distribute the content in this website. You can print the content found on this website for personal educational purposes only. You must also include in all copies, the copyright notice accompanying the Original Content. Any software downloadable or otherwise available in this website is licensed, under the terms of the license to use software that applies. This website contains links to websites on which it has no control. This website disclaims all responsibility and liability to any communications or materials available at these linked sites.